Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Streetlamps fort Spotlights--Here it Come (7")

I'm going to start this review with an incredibly bold statement: Here it Come redefines garage rock today...or it should. This genre currently suffers from an influx of immaturity and lack in musicianship. Garage rock should be a raw personable alternative to popular radio trash, not some hipster doofus's cover up for his crap band. But I guess that over time any genre gets trashed by hipster doofuses. Back to the record though, Jason Davis (vocals/guitar) carefully crafts a vocal melody you can't help but bob your head to on all three songs. Within that melody the drums perfectly accent the emotion in each song--some listeners may scoff at this remark but I think it is rare to hear a drummer who actually writes his/her part around what the vocals are trying to convey. The bass is absolutely rock solid which leaves all the room in the world for Davis' guitar work, which I do not think I could do justice in trying to identify; if pressed I would say it sounds like J Mascis playing through Thurston Moore's rig.
My favorite of the three tracks would have to be the title track "Here it Come." It has a great new wave feel while still maintaining itself as a rock and roll tune. I love the song's climax, especially Davis' frantically lo-fi guitar solo at the end. Too many guitarists try to pull off an unpolished noisy guitar style, and that is exactly how it comes across. Davis perfectly blends imperfection and precision in his playing.
Sonically I love this record. It maintains an underground feel by sounding real and not overly compressed, while still sounding big. This comes to no surprise as Davis is a veteran to recording, this record having been produced at his studio Off the Cuff Sound Recording.
I also love that this release was all hand screen printed at a limited number of 100 (mine being 89/100). This transforms the album into a piece of art and what I think will one day be a piece of garage rock history.

No comments:

Post a Comment